These are the notes I made from Wilco de Kreij‘s video on 2016-12-22 – https://www.facebook.com/emarky/videos/1411969265481405/
In watching, I realized there were a lot of great tips on growing traffic, especially when adding in the ‘upViral loop' technique. AND, since one of the tips is about creating and sharing free content, I knew it would be helpful to others if I shared my notes – so please feel free to share these as well (but please don't copy/paste the content but do share the URL).
Technical note… I was creating these notes in Evernote with the intention of sharing the link to that (which is why the numbering is all weird below (and I was too lazy to try to fix it) – the combination of Evernote numbering and WordPress numbering) – but then it dawned on me that I should do a little self promotion while I was at it – and then it dawned on me to learn from what Wilco just taught and to create free content on my site and share that – getting people to my site and who knows, maybe a new partner or client! HA! Thanks Wilco!
And before I get into those notes, let me also suggest you watch this podcast Creating an 8 Figure Business at 24 Years old at Heyo.com with Nathan Latka with Jamie Masters who runs the EventualMillionaire. In it, he shares his “reading strategy” which I find absolutely brilliant (tho I confess I don't do it as regularly as I would like)… but if you take 5 minutes and read these notes (after watching the video at least once of course) every morning for a week, you'll be more likely to retain the knowledge.
Ok, here are the items wilco talked about (note, he kind of reiterated the items towards the end so I went back and added some content that you won't hear at the beginning – so watch the whole thing and it will make sense).
Major areas to increase traffic and leads
- Affiliate marketing – give other people a commission to promote products. (planetMitch note: if you're not creating products yet, you can partner with other sites to grow your network in a similar manner and to grow your authority in your niche. For example, since I don't have a product specifically to sell (i do services), I'm working with partners to find new clients and when they have clients that could use a giveaway, we partners split the commission. But the goal as always is to grow my email list!)
- provide extra incentives to affiliates like a leader board and prizes for top sales etc. to encourage them to share more.
- check for Wilco’s podcast where he talks about affiliates – upViral.com/podcast (see links below)
- sometimes like Jeff Walker Product Launch Formula – sending out 3 value add videos before running a product launch
- During launch, retarget on FB for only people who signed up and spent at least xx time on the site (using ConnectIO – another Wilco tool)
- Content Marketing – good content builds trust and authority! They’re producing content (on upViral.com/blog and connectio.io/blog) to help people grow their businesses – Multiple strategies
- Free content – easier to get it spread
- post on own social media
- send to email list
- post to communities (inbound or growth hackers) – doesn’t drive a ton of traffic, but we get some
- the new podcast is another way to provide free content while getting the word out
- reach out to thought leaders and influencers in the industry and ask them to share your content as well
- reach out to podcasters to see if you can get on their podcast to reach a new audience
- Paid ads to send to content – usually a blog post (they have tested sending paid traffic to blog post and directly to optin page and the blog posts are getting lowest cost per lead)
- welcome mat before they read the content to try to grab email address
- inside the content provide additional content if they provide email address
- have a funnel in place to convert those new emails to paid customers
- say only 10% convert, for the other 90% he’s using connectRetarget to put a retargeted ad sending them to a webinar funnel for example.
- Paid Ads – connectAudience allows you to target specific people (your current email list)
- They also use ‘look alike’ audiences based on the connectAudience list
- Going to do youtube ads as well in 2017
- Of course, they are also putting people thru the upViral loop so that people help you gain new leads and those people are ‘free’
- Viral Hacking – using upViral to get people to sign up – either with contests or giveaways – getting people to share to their friends
- they received the most email leads in 2016 via viral hacking!
Wilco posted these links:
Products I mentioned:
UpViral -> http://upviral.com (note this is planetMitch's affiliate link if you click it)
ConnectAudience -> http://connectio.io/connectaudience (note this is planetMitch's affiliate link if you click it)
ConnectRetarget -> http://connectio.io/connectretarget/ (note this is planetMitch's affiliate link if you click it)